Are you ready for this absolutely magical trip to the Aragonese Pyrenees? Just imagine waking up with the best view right in front of the mountains. After that, the most beautiful and unique places and landscapes of the Aragonese Pyrenees are waiting for you. Amazing, right?
We will take you there and we are sure that it will remain engraved forever in your eyes.
Villages and mountains we will visit:
Natural Park of Ordesa and Monte Perdido.
Natural Park of the Western Valleys
Old station of Canfranc
Sallent de Gallego
and many activities such as rafting in Ainsa, the Artouste Train, etc… Check them below!
Natural park Ordesa and Monte Perdido
A magnificent natural paradise located in a natural park was even named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997. The national park’s impressive waterfall, one of the highest in Europe, surrounded by 15,608 hectares, must be seen at least once in your lifetime.
Pyrenees Natural Park
On the French border lies a pristine terrain formed by glaciers. A natural paradise of the Pyrenees National Park, it protects some of the most beautiful natural sites in the Pyrenees. As we hike along the most beautiful trails in the area, we will pass stunning lakes and landscapes. There are glaciers on the highest peaks, forests, lakes, rivers, and woods. There is a rich fauna in these valleys as well, such as the bear, red kite, and bearded vulture.
SALLENT DE GALLEGO
Located in the Pyrenees, this village is surrounded by spectacular scenery, and its historic center has interesting monuments, including a 16th-century Gothic church and a medieval bridge. It is called the Spanish ski mecca and is located in Formigal-Panticosa. We will have dinner in this village discovering its most beautiful streets and corners.
Ainsa is one of the most characteristic and beautiful villages in the Pyrenees, situated on a picturesque promontory. You will be transported into a fairy tale with its stone streets, old houses, and spectacular stone castle dating back to the 11th century. The castle of Ainsa has impressive historical importance since the Middle Ages and was the scene of the signing of political pacts, underwent several nominations, and became the emblem of the area. The church of Santa María, in the town square, also exerts a strong fascination for its architecture and history.
In the Aragonese Pyrenees, you must visit this beautiful and unique village, known as the gateway to the National Park of Ordesa and Monte Perdido at 1,032 meters above sea level. Located just below the Ordesa y Monte Perdido National Park, in front of the Ara River. As it is surrounded by mountains, it still preserves the Pyrenean architecture, where the houses have a giant gate, slate roof, and chimneys to frighten witches.
OLD STATION CANFRANC
You shouldn’t miss a chance to see a unique monument such as the impressive Antigua Estación de Canfranc, even nominated as an Asset of Cultural Interest and inaugurated on 28 July 1928. The last train stopped at the station 46 years ago and since then it has become a symbol for its beautiful 19th century French palatial architecture. Inside, you can immerse yourself in a surreal atmosphere thanks to the light filtering through the windows and the ghostly appearance of the building, which has been the setting for numerous films and film productions.
If this description of our next trip has made you dream and travel a little bit, then don’t hesitate to join us and live your Erasmus to the fullest and brag about having seen these treasures that the Pyrenees has to offer.
Our hotel in the Pyrenees – Hotel SNÖ
We have chosen our hotel with great care, a mixture of nature and local services, it has magnificent views. Imagine waking up in front of a high mountain with fresh air. The Hotel SNÖ is one of the best hotels in the area, and last year we were very comfortable there. The rooms are spacious and have two swimming pools, one of which is heated. The rooms are triple rooms, and you can ask for a double or single room on request.
DETAILED PROGRAM :
DAY 1: Departure – High mountain train + Sallent de Gallego
We will leave early in the morning and go directly to Laruns (France) for optional high mountain train activity (+25€) which will take you to the lakes of the French Pyrenees.
After the train, we will return to the hotel. Rest and we will visit the village of Sallent de Gallego.
People who don’t want the train activity will stop in Biescas, a charming village, and then go to the hotel.
DAY 2 : Hiking Cola de Caballo/ Torla ordesa + Rafting / Torla ordesa + Ainsa
We will wake up and you will have 3 options for what to do that day:
- OPTION – Take a hike on COLA DE CABALLO. It ends at a cascade and is a great trail with spectacular views. The difficulty of this route is medium to high, so you have to be in good physical condition and have previous experience with hiking. The route starts in Torla ordesa. After the hike, if you still have time you can visit this village (you have to take a bus to go to the starting point of the hike and the bus costs 3€).
- OPTION – Torla Ordesa + Rafting in Rio Esra (Ainsa) After the visit to Torla, we will go rafting. If you are a water sports lover, there is nothing to hesitate about. Rafting in the Pyrenees is really unique experience! This activity takes around 4 hours. You can also do a short hiking route (4-5km) in Monte Perdido with an easy level of difficulty.
- OPTION – Torla Ordea + Ainsa We have also an option for non-hikers. If you are more into a culture, we will visit 2 beautiful villages.
HIKING DESCRIPTION – COLA DE CABALLO
Distance: 18.76 km
Positive difference in altitude: 778 m
Technical difficulty: Medium-high
Negative difference in altitude: 778 m
Maximum altitude: 1.763 m
Minimum altitude: 1.299 m
Type of route: Circular
DAY 3 : Lakes route + Canfranc + Astún
After breakfast, we will check out and drive to the Pyrenees National Park. On our way, we will stop at the old station of Canfranc. We will visit the station and after that, we’ll go to Astún. Usually, the cableway is free for group of 20 people or more, so it depends on the group. Otherwise, it costs around 7-10 EUR. On this day we will also do a particularly nice route today called the route of the AYOUS LAKES or the Seven Lakes of Astún.
After finishing the route we will leave for Valencia. On our way home we will stop to have dinner and then continue to Valencia, we will arrive around midnight.
HIKING DESCRIPTION – ROUTE DE AYOUS LAKES
Positive difference in altitude: 800 m
Technical difficulty: Medium Easy
Maximum altitude: 2.094 m
Minimum altitude: 1.387 m
Type of route: Circular
Travel material: Backpack, clothes, sun cream, camera, etc.
Food and drink: Bottle of water, maybe snacks for the first day. You can buy food and visit restaurants here.
For the route: Suitable footwear, and suitable clothing (more details in private after booking).
From: 180 €
Until: 10/06: 180 € (In two payments 50 +130)
Until : 15/06 : 185 € (In two payments 55 +130)
Until : 24/06 190 € (In two payments 60 +130)
After this date we cannot guarantee the same hotel or the same price.
How can you book the trip?
1. You can Book Online (Extra 1 euro)
2. In the office 09:00 – 14:00 (Plaza Honduras 26)
3.You can book on the Language Exchange meetings (20:00 – 22:30):
- Monday in Bigben, Plaza Honduras 36
- Tuesday at Palau Alameda, Carrer de l’Arquitecte Mora, 2,
- Thursday in Bigben, Plaza Honduras 36
Carefully chosen with a mix of nature, comfort, services and views in mind.
The SNÖ Hotel, is one of the best hotels in the area, where we stayed last year, rooms are very good, it has two swimming pools. Breakfast is included!
The rooms are triple and if you want double, you can ask for an extra 5€/pax/night or single for 25€/night.
if you are coming single, we will find your roommate. Your roommate will be same gender as you and we will try to have almost same age.
– Private bus
– Guided tours
– One of the best hotels in the valley (4**** + Breakfast) with mountain view and breakfast.
– Professional mountain guide and coordinator.
– Professional organization
– Entrance to any attractions such as museums in the cities.
– The high mountain train to Ainsa, or the high mountain train ticket (25€).
–The chairlift to Astun: Normally free for groups, but 10€/person.
– It does not include any dinner or lunch (only breakfast included in the hotel).
You can book all these activities separately with us after you have booked the trip.
Optional activities – extra charge:
– Visit on the Artouste train (Highest train in Europe) (Activity in France and extra 25€)
– Rafting on the river Esra: Instead of doing the second route (horse tail) you can enjoy rafting on the river Esra (40€).
– Group dinner at the hotel (20€) we recommend you the first day or less, because after a long day of traveling you will be tired and the restaurants in the villages Formigal and Sallent are always full.